Learner of the Year 2021 – How to get involved -
Nominations for the Learner of the Year 2021 are now open
The aim of the Learner of the Year Awards is to celebrate and champion the achievements and progress made by learners during their time completing a Sports Leaders course. Started in 2019, regional winners were awarded in addition to a national winner.
In order to be in the running to win one of this year’s awards, nominated learners will need to reflect on what their development means to them as an individual and within their community, as well as recognising the steps they have made to use the skills they have developed to affect their school and/or personal life in a positive way. This year has been like no other and learners have been presented with a range of unforeseen challenges and obstacles.
Stage 1: The Nomination Process
1. The application window is now open for nominations for leaders certificated in 2019/20 or currently studying in the 2020/21 academic year (attending active SLQ Centres).
2. An advocate* at your Centre completes a short Nomination Form to:
- Nominate up to three learners from your Centre.
- Give a short explanation of why they have been nominated (up to 150 words for each learner)
- The advocate needs to forward the link to the Learner Nomination Survey to the learner for them to complete.
* The advocate can be the Tutor/Assessor, the CCM, another teacher/lecturer at your Centre, the head/principle or any other responsible person at your Centre.
3. Learner Nomination - The learner completes a short Learner Nomination Survey to describe their learner journey.
4. Both the Nomination Form and the Learner Nomination Survey need to be submitted by Friday 14th May to complete your nominations for the Learner of the Year 2021.
5. All nominees will receive a Learner of the Year 2021 Nominee certificate.
Stage 2: Shortlisting for Learner of the Year – Learner journey videos
1. After the nomination window closes, a shortlist of learners will be selected and announced by Friday 28th May 2021.
2. Shortlisted learners will then be required to complete a Learner Journey video. We’ll contact the shortlisted learners’ advocates to create a 90 seconds video where the learner describes their progress through the Sports Leaders course, what it means to them and how it has enabled them to realise their potential in their education and/or personal endeavours. Once we have received the Learner journey video, the shortlisted Learners will be eligible to awarded the Learner of the Year.
3. The Learner of the Year Decision Panel will meet during week commencing 28th June 2021 to review the videos and choose this year’s regional and national winners.
4. After the judging has been completed, SLQ Sports Leaders will announce the winners during week commencing 5th July 2021.
Please note that all dates are subject to change. For more information, check out 2020’s regional and national winners here.
We look forward to receiving your nominations and find out more about the amazing journeys of your learners!