Learner of the Year 2020 – How to get involved
After the success of our first Learner of the Year Awards for the academic year 2018/19, the awards are returning for 2019/20.
The aim of the Learner of the Year Awards is to celebrate and champion the achievements and progress made by learners during their time completing a Sports Leaders course. In July 2019, regional winners were awarded in addition to a national winner and this is again the ambition in 2020.
In order to be in the running to win one of this year’s awards, nominated learners will need to reflect on what their development means to them as an individual and within their community, as well as recognising the steps they have made to use the skills they have developed to affect their school and/or personal life in a positive way.
Stage 1: The Nomination Process
1. The application window will open in January 2020 – at this point, we’ll be in touch to let you know exactly when you can nominate someone for Learner of the Year. Nominations will be open for leaders certificated in 2018/19 or currently studying in the 2019/20 academic year.
2. An advocate* at your Centre completes a short Nomination Form to:
- Nominate up to three learners from your Centre.
- Give a short explanation of why they have been nominated (up to 150 words for each learner)
- The advocate needs to forward the link to the Learner Nomination Survey to the learner for them to complete.
* The advocate can be the Tutor/Assessor, the CCM, another teacher/lecturer at your Centre, the head/principle or any other responsible person at your Centre.
3. The learner completes a short Learner Nomination Survey to describe their learner journey. In the Learner Nomination.
4. Both the Nomination Form and the Learner Nomination Survey need to be submitted by Friday 27th March 2020 to complete your nominations for the Learner of the Year 2020.
5. All nominees will receive a Learner of the Year 2020 Nominee certificate.
Stage 2: Shortlisting for Learner of the Year – Learner journey videos
1. After the nomination window closes, a shortlist of learners will be selected and announced by Friday 24th April 2020.
2. Shortlisted learners will then be required to complete a Learner Journey video. We’ll contact the shortlisted learners’ advocates to create a 1-2 minute video where the learner describes their progress through the Sports Leaders course, what it means to them and how it has enabled them to realise their potential in their education and/or personal endeavours. Once we have received the Learner journey video, the shortlisted Learners will be eligible to awarded the Learner of the Year.
3. The Learner of the Year Decision Panel will meet during week commencing 11th May 2020 to review the videos and choose this year’s regional and national winners.
4. After the judging has been completed, SLQ Sports Leaders will announce the winners during week commencing 1st June 2020.
Please note that all dates are subject to change. For more information, check out 2019’s regional and national winners here.
We look forward to receiving your nominations and find out more about the amazing journeys of your learners!
Please note that applications open in January 2020.